You choose the fabrics for your quilt at the T Shirt Quilt Company. It is a lot of fun to pick your fabric but also a little daunting! Here are tips to help you choose your fabrics:
- The sashing is the fabric that is between the blocks in the traditional style T Shirt quilt. The sashing is cut either 2 inches or 2.5 inches wide. Solid colors or a small print work best. Fabric with big designs, stripes, or chevrons will not work. We recommend Kona solids. Kona is a good quality fabric and comes in hundreds of colors.
- The fabric should be a quilting cotton. In the search bar add the words “quilting cottons”. This will weed out the canvas, twill, and other cottons that are not recommended for quilting. All cottons are not the same quality! Quilting cottons are a higher grade. They will make a soft and comfortable quilt.
- The backing fabric is a great place to be creative! It is best to avoid designs that are linear. The t shirt quilt is quilted on a long arm quilting machine. The quilt back rolls along during the quilting process. It is impossible to insure that fabric will be perfectly straight as it rolls up. Fabric is comprised of many threads woven together and when rolled they stretch differently.
- Fleece cannot be used. The t shirt quilts are densely quilted and fleece is too thick. Lightweight flannel can be used but we only recommend it on smaller quilts. Quilts with 20+ shirts that have flannel for the backing will be heavy and bulky.
- Start here to order your Traditional style tshirt quilt.
On the Mosaic style quilt you choose fabric for the backing and also if you choose a border. The tips for the traditional apply except the border fabric is wider and you can use a bigger print. Find out more about the Music t-shirt quilt here.
Choosing your fabrics can seem overwhelming -there are so many choices! We are happy to give suggestions. We want you to enjoy the process and to be happy with your t shirt quilt and your fabric choices!